Thursday, June 18, 2009

27 Weeks is Too Early!

Well . . . this is not a fun post to write. I woke up yesterday morning (Wednesday) at 2 a.m. and my water had broken. I was scared to death. Tim was in Colorado with his dad and brother for a couple of days, so I called him immediately. He called his mom to see if she could meet me at the hospital and Katie to have her come over to sit with Callie. Dianne ended up coming to pick me up so I wouldn't drive myself.

When they got to the hospital, they started testing me to make sure that it was amniotic fluid and it was. After I got hooked up to the monitors, they noticed I was having several contractions but I had absolutely no pain. I didn't have a lot of pain when I was in labor with Callie, so I guess I could have been in labor for weeks and not even known it. Anyway, they gave me two injections of a medication to stop my labor and it worked.

I have gotten two injections of the steroid that helps the baby's lungs mature. This is a very good thing. I have not had consitent contractions since around 6:30 yesterday morning. I've had a few irritablity contractions but nothing they are worried about. I have seen my doctor and also a speicalist. The specialist did a sonogram to check everything out. Jack is doing great and has had no problems at all. The level of amniotic fluid is normal which is a very good thing.

Basically, they told me that I will be in the hospital unitl he is born. That could be tomorrow or 7 weeks from now. The biggest potential problem is infection, which I am on broad-spectrum IV anitibiotics to help ward that off. If I get an infection, they will not want Jack to stay in. The hosptial I'm in, Centennial Medical Center in McKinney, has a level 3 NICU. So, if I can hang on until next Tuesday (when I'm 28 weeks), I can deliver here and the baby can stay here until he is ready to come home.

As of now I am off the IV unless they are hanging my anitibiotics. I am only on the fetal monitor and contraction monitors for 2 hours a shift. So I have stabilized to the point that they just want me on bed rest and will monitor me off and on for contractions. I am still leaking fluid a little bit, but they think the rupture has mostly sealed off. That's really good news! I did get to get up and take a shower today and I can get out of bed to go to the bathroom. Otherwise, I need to stay in bed.

Callie has been up here a couple of times to see me. We are trying to make her comfortable with me being here for a while. My mom is here and is on vacation next week already, so she'll be with us through next week. Please pray for us that Jack will hang on and we will go one day at a time to make sure we make it as far as we can. We want him to be as healthy as possible when he makes his arrival! He will be in the NICU until he can breathe, take all feedings, keep his temperature up, and a couple of other things all on his own. The neonatologist told us that their goal is to send us home with a healthy baby.

I will keep you updated as well as I can.

1 comment:

  1. OMG... how scary, I can't believe your leaking fluid. I will keep you guys in my thoughts, is Tim back home with you? I will follow your blog now, didn't know you had one. :)

    Jayme

    ReplyDelete

Cherries